Monday, February 20, 2012

Who am I?

Yesterday my Dad said it seemed like I'd like to look at pictures of me. I didn't quite understand and was a little confused. After I asked him he explained: Well, you take a lot of self portraits.
I couldn't help but laugh. Just to make this clear: I'm not taking self portraits so I can look at them later and think "Oh, I'm so pretty!". You know the pictures of teenagers where they're standing in the bathroom in front of the mirror and take a lot of photos of themselves? I don't do that. I don't know if we have something in common, those teenagers and me. I guess something we do have in common is that we want to know "Who am I?"
A little difference is that they seem to focus on how they look while I focus on how I am. What are the distinctive things that make me "me"? How do I want people to see me? How do I feel about certain things?
What expression, posture, clothing, background, colors, texture, and style best express the real me?

Well, but the mainly reason I take self portraits: you have model who is always available and works for free ;) All my friends are living all over the place in Franconia and I have to take the train everywhere so I don't see them every day. This will hopefully change when I go back to school.

There are some great photographers out there who are doing a lot of self portraits:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurazalenga/ (She's just like one of the most amazing photographers ever.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiie/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaaa/sets/72157621581971199/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikolinelr/page4/

So, done.

2 comments:

  1. Ich finde du bist eine tolle, empathische, charismatische, intelligente, sehr talentierte und humorvolle Persönlichkeit, die es versteht, die Welt mit seinen ganze Oberflächlichkeiten zu hinterfragen und das wahre am Menschen zu sehen. Ich sehe dich als eine tolle Freundin und als Vorbild, weil du zu dir selbst ehrlich bist, deine Talente akzeptierst und an deinen Schwächen arbeitest. Ich bin froh dich kennengelernt zu haben und freue mich auf das Treffen morgen. ;) Ich habe dich unendlich lieb und vermisse dich.
    Deine MC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du bist ein riesengroßer Schatz, weißt du das? Danke! :*

      Delete